Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Treating my stomach and hair to yogurt goodness!


I enjoy pampering as much as the next eyeglass rocking diva (you know… because girls with glasses rock!). My pampering does not end with the occasional waxing, pedi, mani and/or massage. I also love to deep treat my hair when I’m at home chillin’. Due to my professionally done color treatment as well as the level of frizz and single strand knots I experience I feel the need to be the Buzz Lightyear of natural hair. I am willing to go “to infinity and beyond!” with my hair care techniques.

Since I’m already on a quest to lead a healthier and more active lifestyle, there are certain items I always have on hand. A main food item I keep on hand is Greek yogurt which I use in fruit smoothies and as a breakfast staple. Greek yogurt has protein and keeps me full for longer periods of time. Along the way, I’ve read a few ideas of using yogurt as a hair mask. I saw on curlynikki.com earlier this week that she used Greek yogurt as a cleanser. It stuck in my brain because I work out at least 30 minutes a day (participating in a 30-day fitness challenge) and my hair and scalp sweat regularly. I don’t always feel like washing and sometimes I want to do more than co-wash. Either way, I know that I want to care for my color-treated hair and scalp at all times.

So, last night after teaching Zumba I felt determined to do a yogurt treatment in lieu of my usual co-wash. I wanted to combine it with a scalp massage. Rather than do them separately, I wanted a mix that would allow me to deep treat, cleanse and boost scalp health. Here are the ingredients I used and why:
ü      ½ cup of full fat Greek yogurt (Smoothes and hydrates strands)
ü      1.5 Tbsp of organic honey (conditions, imparts shine and helps with moisture retention)
ü      1 tsp of cold-pressed castor oil (Promotes growth and as a pore cleanser on my face so...)
ü      1 tsp vitamin E (Slows down the aging process (gray hair!) and improves blood circulation to the scalp)
ü      5-6 drops of Basil essential oil (promotes growth by stimulating hair follicles, boosts hue of hair color)

I mixed it all in a small bowl and put it on my hair for 30 minutes. I made sure to create parts and allow placement on my scalp. I then massaged it into the scalp for a few minutes before waiting out the rest of the time with a plastic cap. I rinsed in the shower and made sure to get it all out. I followed with a quick conditioner wash using hello hydration to make sure I rinsed all of the yogurt out. I understand it can cause quite a stink if any is left behind. My hair felt great and the curls were clumped and ready to go. Afterward I used one of my random leave-ins and a styler for flat twists. This morning my hair looks and feels great, has a nice sheen, and quite a bit of body despite the dreaded shrinkage monster (cue horror movie music). I’m pleased and will do this once a week although next time I might go lighter with the basil because the husband gave the smell 2 thumbs down. Hated it! :D

4 comments:

  1. Lynne, Where do you teach Zumba? I love that you can find some much good uses out of thee stuff you may already have in your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Star! I'm sorry I didn't reply! I teach Zumba at a couple of churches right now. I used to teach at a gym but it went out of business. Let me know if you'd like to drop in sometime!

      Delete
  2. I like the idea of using basil oil, thank you

    ReplyDelete