Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Do you believe in... Leave-ins?

Kinky Curly Knot Today AND Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
Many of us think about using a moisturizer of some sort to manage dryness, especially when we have hair that is naturally dry and/or color treated. Typically we go to a moisturizer to combat the dryness. In fact, I have a favorite moisturizer and one that I just "like". Most recently, I found that my hair digs the lite version of Carols Daughter Hair Milk. They are all water-based and a major part of my hair care regimen. 

My hair is most moisturized when I use a leave-in conditioner on my color treated locks. But leave-ins aren't just for color treated hair. When I big chopped, my hair was super dry. I used alcohol-laden products on a regular basis and about 12 hours afterward my hair was like- "help me. need...water!" By following blogs about natural hair, I realized I should have been using a leave-in for added moisture from day one. So- why should YOU use them? 
Here are just a few reasons--> Leave ins:
· are great for detangling wet hair
· can be used as a conditioner-only styler
· provide moisture under gels
· hydrate and strengthen
· minimize frizz
In a nutshell, leave-ins have the added components that keep it all together, soft, shiny and manageable.  They are meant to actually leave ON the hair versus the conditioners that many keep on their hair all day for conditioner wash and go styles.  Some people add olive, coconut or jojoba oil for added shine and sealing all that goodness into the strand. I primarily add the oils in winter when my hair is dryest and the weather is most harsh. My favorite leave-in conditioner of late has been Paul Mitchell's The Conditioner (a generic version is sold at Sallys for half the cost) and I've always used Kinky Curly Knot Today. I've also taken a fancy to Redken Smooth Down Detangling Cream. Once I've used up my current stash I'm heading to Target or Walmart to find Herbal Essence None of Your Frizziness Smoothing Leave-in Cream (it’s only $3.99!). Do you use a leave-in? Which do you recommend?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lady...I love Giovanni Direct Leave-In Conditioner. I may flip and flop around with styling products, but that is the one thing that is solid in my regiment!! I use KCKT when I use the KCCC, and I like Koils by Nature leave-in, but if the world ended today and I could only take 1 leave in with me to heaven it would be my Giovanni!! LOL Great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Renon a.k.a. TheRYL1 here! I shall have to start getting by here more often! ;-)

    So...you diggin' that Redken Smooth...Cream, huh? I may have to check it out. I have some Paul Mitchell condish, too...of course I can't think of the exact name at this moment...SMH. But, it's an intense condish...I like it so far.

    I find myself trying to keep it simple on the hair tip. I LOVE buying products, but I'm also learning what works and what was just purchased because "it had so many good reviews".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey ladies! DivaD- I still have some Giovanni. I didn't fall in love with it but I kept it. Maybe I will revisit!
    Renon- girl I just saw on CN that the Redken Smooth is being eliminated. Hoping I can catch the last of it on some good clearance sales! By the way- they are finally selling Curl Junkie here in Ohio. I'll be going to get a few things in the near future! Trying not to jump on the bandwagons is so crucial or you just end up with a cabinet full of stuff. I've been giving a lot of my old stuff away. I have a good idea what my hair likes now. Although I just purchased some As I Am products this weekend, I'm sticking to what I know.

    ReplyDelete