Thursday, August 9, 2012

First Listen: Elle Varner's Perfectly Imperfect


Elle Varner: Perfectly Imperfect

I first spotted fellow curly Elle Varner on my favorite cable station, VH1Soul. She was singing ‘I only want to give it to you’ over an 80’s hip hop beat (Biz Markie no less). Whilst envying her big hair and curls I quickly came to love the old skool vibe of the video, the colors, the clothes and her entire package. She just seemed fun and like someone with whom I’d hang. So I did what every social media junkie does- found and started stalking following her on Twitter. I would tell you about her entire music history, including how her father is a musician but that would be proof of my stalker-ish ways. :D

Not long after, I heard Refill on music site SoulBounce.com (they’re on Twitter too!). Elle’s raspy alto reminded me of Corinne Bailey Rae with a whole lotta edge. She doesn’t necessarily have a ton of range but in her lane- she’s pretty dope. She can be smooth and she can rock out. I began to listen more for content and vocal ability and was pleasantly surprised. While ‘Only Wanna Give It To You’ likened her desire for a boy to that for a fresh pair of kicks, Refill spoke of a surprising love for which she wanted a long pour or at least a few more sips. Heck- just gimme another glass! Who hasn’t been there before? Did I mention that I also LOVE that video?


Flash forward to now and Elle’s Perfectly Imperfect has been released (August 6th). Just like her previous releases, this is a fun project. It boasts pop, country, funk, rock, soul and hip hop-tinged Elle. Sometimes when an artist tries to do too much, it seems a bit all over the place and you never quite know where you’re going (or where you’ve landed). But Perfectly Imperfect is a good ride. In fact, I would say it is the perfect riding in your car joint from start to finish. At times she also reminds me of Amy Winehouse (think F-ck Me Pumps), and even a more fun Alicia Keys. One of the best things I like about it is that it sounds like live instrumentation in my car. This means that her live set should be great. I have a deep appreciation for that alone. And the bonus? For a refreshing change, we have a young woman singing about fun, longing, partying, imperfections and love. Oh- Did I mention FUN!? Plus she uses words like “interjection” properly (I’m a nerd – so!?). I suspect there is a lot more to see here folks! In the meantime, this first stint is totally on point and perfectly- Imperfect. 
My personal faves are (ok, upon further scrutinization this is more than half the cd - lol):
  • Only Wanna Give it to You
  • Refill
  • Sound Proof Room (ummm yeah- you might know the feeling)
  • I Don’t Care
  • Leaf (I forgive the fact that this sounds like a slowed-down Only Wanna Give it to you)
  • Oh What a Night
  • Not Tonight
  • Stop the Clock (one of the few times I'm ok with hearing tick-tock being sung)
  • So Fly (reminiscent of Video by India Arie)

My rating:  Pretty Dope

No comments:

Post a Comment