Monday, October 8, 2012

Good bye wash-n-go's, Hello protective styles!

This is a combo post. Previously, I've discussed my weight loss journey and hair separately but the truth is- they're connected. During the last month of summer I primarily styled my hair via wash and go's (wngs) because it seemed that my journey of working out and getting fit was causing me to wash or rinse my hair almost daily. I sweat like nobody's business when I teach Zumba and most of it comes from the head and shoulders (don't judge me). Wearing scarves and pin-ups do not help the matter. When I try to go to sleep, the sweat on my scalp causes the itchies and as a result, I get no sleep. So, wash and go styles were in my best interest all summer! I figured- if it ain't broke, why fix it!

In September I decided to exercise a minimum of 30 minutes per day thanks to a FaceBook challenge from MTV Real World cast original- Kevin Powell. I already teach Zumba 2-3 times a week but I decided to add some layers to my workout regimen. With this plan in mind, I completed my first walk/run in September. I use the Ease Into 5K application (formerly known as C25K. Check it out if you can and are interested in running. It's pretty cool). During the months of August and September I would rinse or co-wash (using As I am Coconut Co-Wash) after my workouts, add leave-in conditioner, EcoStyler Pink and head out. By the end, I'd begun to squeeze out the excess water and conditioner (learned this from vlogger ShidaNaturals, whom I LOVE) before adding the gel. This sped up my drying time and lessened shrinkage. Since I was working out in the evenings, I would just wait until the morning to do the entire process again. NOW... it is pretty cool outside and wash and go styles are no longer practical. Venturing from the house with wet hair isn't the best idea. I have no interest in getting sick or drinking that icky blue stuff that's supposed to ease symptoms so I can get some rest. No sir/ma'am- I'll take my sleep without sickness or medication for all the money, Alex!! So, I've decided to mostly keep my hair in protective styles all fall and winter. I'll primarily wear twisted pin-up styles (similar to the one shown above), co-washing or rinsing at night so that my hair will be dry in the a.m.

Ultimately, this plan will assist my workouts versus hinder them. My workouts are now a priority and not a secondary thing that can be skipped at whim. Being natural has helped me maintain this thought process. A lot of this is mental. When I was relaxed- I wasn't relaxed at all. Before every workout I was so uptight about messing up my hair especially if it was freshly done! With that concern long out of the way- I have other worries. Soon enough I'll have to bring my entire workout inside to the gym but right now I soooo enjoy the outdoors (can't believe I'm saying that!), the brisk, fresh air and the sun. My journey includes caring for my entire self and sticking to it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy for and about myself. It makes me proud of ME for making self care a priority. You only get one you. I can never say enough to you or me- Take care of yourself, head to toe, inside AND out. Moreover, don't let a little thing like hair get in the way.

~PEACE and LOVE, NATURALLY

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl, I am just the opposite. Wash and go's are my style for the beginning of the cool months. Hopefully by the new year I can switch it up a little. Cant wait to see your protective styles. Are you joining KNH challenge? I am in, but doing the low manipulation part.

    ReplyDelete