Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Recipe: Pumpkin Streusel Pie

It's been a long time since I posted a recipe. You would think I don't like to cook but of course I do! The weather is getting cooler and I've been in the mood for something tasty, warm and... HEALTHY!! Ok, ok- I haven't  REALLY been in the mood for anything healthy but as part of my discipline to be a better me, it's necessary. Today I was in Starbucks and someone ordered a pumpkin latte. It looked delightful and gave me the idea to bake something pumpkin-y tonight. I remembered a Betty Crocker recipe I pull out every winter to the delight of my son and myself (the DH doesn't like pumpkin). This is another recipe I'd make when I was doing Weight Watchers. I picked up many great eating tips and making a worthy dessert was one of my main quests. So, here it is- if you try it, let me know!


Topping
First there is the topping. Mix all the ingredients and set aside:
Brown Sugar Topping
1/4 c. packed brown sugar
1/4 c. quick cooking oats
1 tbsp of margarine (I used Land O'Lakes butter)
Mix all of the ingredients and set aside




Mix the next ingredients in a blender or food processor in the order listed.
Remaining ingredients
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
1 can (12 oz) evaporated skimmed milk
1/2 c. fat-free cholesterol-free egg product or 4 egg whites
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp of salt
2 tsp of grated orange peel

Topping added
Cover and blend on medium speed until smooth. Pour into a pie pan/plate. Try to use a deep-dish pie plate as you may find that there is more than a normal pie pan can hold. After pouring into your dish, sprinkle the topping across the mixture.

Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Now... at this point the recipe says you should place in the refridgerator for 4 hours or until chilled. Personally, we give it about 20 minutes to get to the point of being warmed (versus scorch your esophagus hot) and go for it! Basically, try it your way! 




The deets on calories and such are below. I interpreted this to being 4 weight watcher points per slice (provided you turn it into 8 portions).
Recipe makes 8 servings
200 Calories
2g Fat
2mg Cholesterol
230mg Sodium
38g Carbs
2g Dietary fiber
7g Protein

If you try it, please come back and comment! In the meantime, my son is chomping at the bit and complaining that I'm sharing this recipe! Bon appetite!

Peace!



No comments:

Post a Comment