Thursday, July 7, 2011

Recipes I LOVE: Fettucine with spinach and feta cheese

So, last week I cooked one of my son's favorite meals (at his request) and posted a picture of it on facebook. Several people asked me about it so I decided to add it to my blog. Believe it or not, it is a recipe I discovered while I was on weight watchers (8 points per serving in fact!). It's pretty quick to make, healthy and is BURSTING with flavor. Can't beat that! So, I'm providing the recipe as written in the book. If you try it, feel free to improvise as you desire. I do. If you try it- let me know! Bon appetite!

Ingredients:
8 oz of fettucine (I only use whole wheat or spinach based)
1 cup of reduced-sodium chicken broth, defatted
10 oz package \frozen, chopped spinach (thawed and squeezed dry)
1/3 cup sun-dried (not oil-packed) tomato halves (great for taste and color!)
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

**I add portabella mushrooms and any other veggie I like. Sometimes I add chicken. AND- if I can find fat-free feta, I buy that. However, Trader Joe has the best sundried tomato version of feta and it makes the recipe pop!

Steps:
1. In a large pot of boiling water; cook the fettucine until just tender. Drain well
2.  Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, bring the broth, spinach, sundried tomatoes and garlic to boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the spinach is warmed through (about 5 minutes)
3.  Stir the ricotta and pepper into the saucepan and cook until just warmed through, about 1 minute. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, add the pasta and feta, and toss to combine. Divide the pasta mixture among 4 bowls and serve.

Serves 4
Working time: 20 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes

Fat: 9G/22%
Calories: 362
Saturated fat: 4.8G
Carbs: 51G
Protein: 20G
Cholesterol: 80MG
Sodium: 402MG

2 comments:

  1. I really can't wait to make and eat this! It looks so delicious and I LOVE sun-dried tomatoes and spinach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jae- please share your thoughts on this recipe! I promised I'd post others. I'll have to put a new one out this week

      Delete