Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Older Natural Questionaire from Seriously Natural


Picture me rollin!

Good morning! So yesterday, I mentioned that I answered questions about my hair journey as an "older natural" on another blog called Seriously Natural (http://www.seriouslynatural.org/). The host Sabrina presented the following questions and my responses were the source for my reflection yesterday. Consider this like one of those questionaires when people ask your favorite colors, ice cream, etc (and then ask you to forward to all your friends or you'll have bad luck... lol).  Feel free to answer yourself. And if you have a mind to do so, send your responses on to seriouslynatural4@gmail.com.

Hi, my name is Lynne. I'm an older natural-- and proud of it. 
  1.  How long have you been Natural?I have been completely natural for 2 years and 3 months. In November, it will have been 3 years since my last relaxer.
  2. Why did you become Natural?I decided to become Natural after a friend of mine and I discussed it. She had been on the journey for a few months and took me to a seminar. I decided I wanted to give it a try. It's funny because she returned to relaxers not long after while I soldiered on. I still love her even though she left me. LOL! It was actually kind of funny to tell people I was "going natural" as I transitioned. I'm glad I can now say that I AM Natural. But when you see me, there's no question. :)
  3. Was it a hard transition?  How did you transition?The transition was mildly difficult. I used a lot of heat to keep the textures the same. I began cutting my hair to shorter styles to accommodate the transition because I’m just not a pony-tail kind of girl and I hadn't yet considered twist/braid sets as an option. The winter months were easy. But by March I began growing weary of the two textures. Going to the gym meant almost daily washing, straightening and far more work than I really wanted to do. That was VERY frustrating! So, I big chopped on April 23, 2009. On my lunch hour. :) That's a whole other story.
  4. Did your age aid in your decision to go Natural?I often wonder if my age played a role. Meaning- would I have done this at 20-something? I’m not sure. But I've met many naturals who I thought were permies during my transition. Through them and the seminar, I realized that you could actually wear your hair straight even if you didn’t relax- and no one would know the difference! Then I REMEMBERED that I did that ALL the time before mom decided to relax my hair.
  5. Does your age make it easier or harder to be Natural?I think my age makes it a little easier. I have developed an “I don’t care what other people think about what’s ON ME” attitude over the years. When you’re young, you often succumb to peer pressure. I couldn't care less. In fact, I'm thinking if you're not chipping in $$ or helping me do it- hursh. Immediately. lol
  6. Do you see many Older Naturals in your area?  If so, what styles are they sporting?Naturals of all ages are common here in Ohio. They are rocking straight styles, puffs, twists, braids, twist/braid outs, wash and gos, super short cuts, and often in amazing colors! Here you see the whole gamut. I often see reports of black women not embracing their natural sisters on other blogs. I always wonder where they live because here in Ohio, in the valley, there is nothing but love and respect. Your choice of natural or straight hair is no big deal. I do credit some of that to meet-ups and hair dressers like mine who have created a movement of wearing hair chemical-free with the option of curly or straight. When you show up in numbers, you can change a mind.
  7. How do you primarily wear your Natural hair?I primarily wear my hair in twist outs over the weekend and puffs/wngs during the week. I work out often and wearing a puff is easier for that. I can rinse my scalp after my workouts and just put it back up. I appreciate that freedom.
  8. Favorite products and/or product line?My current favorite products are by Maryland-based Oyin Handmade. They’re natural and the first products I ordered that didn't disappoint me after the first use. I prefer to buy products on the ground but they have changed my mind.... I particularly LOVE the Hair Dew but I’m also using the Shine and Define for my twists. For my puffs, I use EcoStyler and Upper Management Gels. I’ve been doing this regimen for about 3 weeks now.
  9. Any words of wisdom or encouragement for other Older Naturals already Natural or thinking about it?Natural hair here is not as big a deal it seems to be elsewhere. Most of the time I don't even think about it. I’m surrounded by women of all ages who are transitioning for numerous reasons. My words of wisdom- learn about your hair! Learn about porosity, observe how your hair reacts to certain products, the weather. Keep a journal! I have one and I refer back often! It helps you see your growth, what works/didn't work. Take pictures to document. Sometimes you think there is no growth or change in hair health, but when you see the pics you see reality!  In my community, we love and support others along the journey. It helps US hang in there. So, no matter what stage you're in, I encourage you to support other natural women when you see them. I always offer a smile and tell them I love their hair. And- it’s always true.

No comments:

Post a Comment