Monday, October 21, 2013

Poeticly Cooking: Frittata Boot Camp

My first time began with an egg scramble gone awry... I basically forgot to scramble it and I suck at flipping with a spatula.  So... what to do? It hit me that I'd seen someone at North Star Cafe with a frittata and then, that I might have an idea how to make it. I dont know how... I just have tons of information stored in my head and it seems to know when to push to the front if my thoughts. In this case, it was probably a cooking show memory. I basically watch them for relaxation AND fall asleep to them nightly. But I digress... so I tipped the pan to cause the uncooked egg to rise to the top. I finished in the oven, posted a pic to my Instagram and dug in. It was DELISH!  Want to give it a try? Heres how to make a basic frittata. You can change it up to your own liking.  Lets go- forwarrrrrrd MARCH!

Essentials to key to any frittata (hence the bootcamp):

A cute dish (ok, you dont need per se but cute dishes ROCK)

1 carton of egg whites

1/4 cup of cream (Or just a splash) 

1/2 cup mushrooms

1/2 cup onions

1 cup spinach, broccoli or other green of preference

Pre-cooked Bacon or other meat (sausage, ground turkey)

Cheese is optional (goat cheese or parmesean are great)

Dont like those veggies?! Get your own soldier!!

First, pre-heat your oven to 425

Sautée your veggies in a healthy oil such as olive oil or clarified butter. Sautee to your desire on low to medium heat.

In a separate dish, whisk together your eggs, splash of cream and seasonings. I use salt, pepper, garlic and others based on what im trying to achieve. Sometimes I add taragon or cumin or rosemary. 

Once your eggs are mixed well, pour atop your vegetables. Add the meat. If you are using a pan that can go from stove top to oven, you can continue to cook the eggs for a bit and as the bottom firms up, tip it to cause the uncooked eggs on the top to go to the bottom. You can also skip the stove top part altogether! Either way, place dish in oven and cook until firm. Bake for 15-25 minutes or until firm. Add cheese during the last 5 minutes and VOILÀ! You have graduated from frittata boot camp! Enjoy and please comment and subscribe! 

Before baking (See exhibit A - cute dish :) )


All done!

No comments:

Post a Comment