Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Fear of Flying

So, this weekend I’ll be flying out to Los Angeles thanks in all parts to a natural hair blogging contest that I won. The skeptic in me always wondered if anyone really wins these contests but alas- I’m going. The win was unexpected and exciting at once. It sounds pretty phenomenal on paper and when I’m telling my friends the story of how this trip came to exist. For about 36 hours I’ll be living it up- jet setting across the country, getting picked up by a private car, checking into a fabulous hotel and partying it up with a celeb-gone-curly and a natural hair rock star. Pass the Courvoisier please!

There’s only one problem. I’m afraid of flying. Seriously. My fear is not really based on anything other than perhaps EVERY SINGLE MOVIE about planes crashing. There is one out now. It is nurtured by the fact that every time I’m about to fly, there is a crashing plane report. This happened earlier this week, locally. And finally, there’s just more of a gamble involved than I like to take. I have no control. With every bit of turbulence, I scan the faces of the stewards who serve peanuts and soda from a silver, table-clothed cart for signs of danger. I behave as if I could possibly do anything should they display even the smallest hint of a problem. I know I can’t. But I do it anyway. And once we make it to our destination, I bless the ground and pray the hours don’t fly before I have to get back on and head home.

Although I’m addressing my fear of flying, there is another part of this story. I’m adopted. I’m still getting used to telling folks. I don’t know how to be any other way except blunt on the subject. I am what I am and its taken me a long time to get to this place. It was a one-way ticket! After divulging, I await reactions for a signal of danger. There is always the danger of them feeling sorry for me, suspecting I'm damaged goods or  seeing the shame and pain I’ve buried over the years after finding out the person who birthed me, chose not to raise me. Being adopted is a sensitive subject for me. For many like me. And yet- it is still a favorite joke of comedians and comedic writers. I’m guessing they’re not adopted. But I digress as always.

So here is the hitch to the giddy-up: My birth mom (BM) lives in Los Angeles. Since finding her, we have spoken only a few times a year and I’ve seen her only once during a week-long occasion in 2004. It may have been the most interesting Christmas present I've ever received. And from her it was the last and only. Fast forward nearly 7 years, too many painful conversations, long silences, weird and random text messages of “I love you’s” and “lets start overs” to now. 

After much internal debate, I sent her a message saying I would be in town and when. I relayed that there is a small window of opportunity for us to briefly connect. She agreed to meet, responding with her usual, hokey language, signing X’s and O’s next to her name. XOXOJoanne. In typing this, I realize we share the last 3 letters of our first name. It makes me giggle like a child. She reduces me in that way. In my dreams, I wish we shared more. But to date, we have only had fleeting moments of recognizing that which we share as mother and child; that which we have in common despite the great divide of adoption. I don’t know how this meeting will go but I admit I’m afraid. I’m afraid of allowing my emotions to fly. I’m afraid to allow them to land on any semblance of excitement or happiness at seeing her again. I’m terrified that she is forever the lothario and I the jilted lover. I’m afraid she won’t show. And afraid that I’ll be rejected, yet again by my first mother. She gave me life and I worry that with each rejection, she’ll take some of it away. It is a gamble and scarier than any plane ride I’ve been on thus far.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Lynne, I love this piece. The analogy to your fear of flying with your Mom's relationship with you is very insightful. Thank you for sharing this personal reflection.

    As a friend, you are strong. I realize there is only so much we can take, but know that you found the strength to find your Mom and you did. You initiated the contact and you stayed true to yourself despite her Lothario mothering!

    I think it is commendable that you reach out to her. You have more than fulfilled your role as a daughter and I believe she will realize it one day. As a mother who is going through turmoil with her daughter, you make my heart happy to know there are daughters who continue to love unconditionally and that the behavior my daughter is displaying is not normal.

    As far as flying a plane is concerned, and I know you have heard this before, your chances of having a car accident is far greater. Take off and landing is the most dangerous part of flying an airplane. You will be fine. Get your drink on and contemplate LA and all the fun you will have!!!

    I love you Lynne and very proud to have you as a Sistadaughterfriend!

    ~peace
    Halimah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Lynne thanks for having the courage to share with your readers what you are feeling. For that alone you are a brave woman. I can not begin to say that I know how you feel, but I can say that all that you fear, I fear in another part of my life. Having never met you in person, but I feel like I have. You have a strong personality and you will be fine.

    I will keep you in my prayers on both of your fears and with that being said you are going to come out a champ! So go and enjoy the par-tay and take lots of pictures.
    CrissyQ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynne! What an awesome piece! The previously posted comment above said it all! :) How astute is the analolgy between fear of flying and meeting your birth mom--this is really good. I'm really proud of the leaps and bounds you have been able to make on this journey with your mom and hope and pray this reunion will be a joyful one, with hope... Can't wait to hear about it--both the "superstar exprience" and your mom. Have fun!

    --Debra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am so happy that I checked out your blog, after having seen you on CurliNikki's page. Since I wear glasses, that was the main pull!

    Anyway, what a poignant, thought provoking piece! It's amazing because I've had young students whose emotions I can tell (especially on a Monday), when they've visited the non-custodial parent. Certainly those feelings extend way into adulthood as well.

    I hope that you were able to connect, but even if you weren't the win signifies that you are a winner on so many fronts. More importantly I am so glad that you were adopted and not discarded in some abortion clinic. It's stories like yours that need to be told and heard, and told some more.

    Thanks for sharing.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Renee! I REALLY appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete