Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Jill Scott: The Light of the Sun review

On Tuesday, Jill Scott released her latest project: The Light Of The Sun. I listened in advance a few times thanks to a couple of sites that streamed it for several days. One of them was NPR. I thought if NPR is streaming- it must be pretty good with some substance and mass appeal (and someone has some pull!). Not that Jill doesn’t normally deliver but I must admit that I haven’t been totally blown away since- Who is Jill Scott? I can remember only a few songs from the projects in between this one and that.  After only the first listen, I LOVED it! I mean… wow. I don’t know about you but I’ve been thru a few thangs... I’ve experienced heartbreaks from my own bad choices in love and life. Apparently, so has Jill as evidenced by the song Quick where she sings ‘Ov’a! Can’t believe it’s ov’a! So quick!’ Boy do I know that one… Thought I was on to something and then… But I digress…

At a time when ladies young and old seem quick to bed and man hop as regularly as our risky brethren it’s quite refreshing to hear something different from the music industry than the usual mattress antics of Nikki Minaj, Rihanna, et al. This throwback to having some discernment about who you lay with is a refreshing treat from Jill. Now that’s not to say she can’t or doesn’t get as freaky and serve her man as well as the next grown woman (Exhibited A: Until Then) but that isn’t the basis of her sound or message. I can appreciate that.  But what I appreciate most is her checking those who want to check in to her life. The expressed ideology that she is worthy of more than a quickie and they should align themselves accordingly. Say it again Jill!  Making You Wait (which sounds like Raheem Devaughn’s “YOU”), Rolling Hills and the poem Womanifesto make it plain that you better get with the program!  Other stand outs for me are So Gone (been there, done that), Le Boom Vent Suite and the catchy, makes-me-wanna-get-up-and-dance Shame (sampling Special Ed’s classic The Magnificent). Jill is back, fresh, cool and MAGNIFICENT! Take note and respect her conglomerate!

Her mic sounds nice check one! Her mic sounds nice check two!
Have you checked it out? If yes- what thinketh you?

No comments:

Post a Comment